Pet Safety

The Kodiak Veterinary Clinic story

Protecting our pets from the many dangers that lurk in our community and neighborhoods can be considered a full time job. Like all other communities, Kodiak Island pet owners face many of the same problems in regards to safety, but living on Alaska’s frontier does present some unique challenges.

  • Exposure to Cold/Damp Weather can cause Hypothermia.

    • Pets require dry and warm shelter from the potentially harsh Kodiak environment.

    • During Sunny Summer days, leaving pets in vehicles for short periods of time without proper ventilation can cause heat stroke (even in Kodiak.)

    • During darker winter months, utilize proper illumination and reflective gear if walking near traffic or roadways.

    • Use extreme caution whether hiking our beautiful island or walking with your dogs through your neighborhood. The number one way to avoid potential hazards: Use a Leash! Remember, dogs have free will, and have a tendency to use it at the most inconvenient of times!! Here are some of the more prevalent situations to be aware of in Kodiak:

      • Wildlife encounters do happen, especially with our world famous Kodiak Brown bears.

      • Many of our trails are surrounded by difficult terrain, near cliffs, steep embankments, and swift moving water with unforeseen underwater hazards.

      • Deep and dense underbrush in rural areas contain hidden items such as sharp metal objects, Pushki plants (thorny plants that can cause severe skin irritation) and tree branches that can cause damage to eye tissue.

      • Be aware of trapping season and commonly used areas for hunting.

      • Toxins are always present-rat poison, slug bait, salmon being brined for smoking (due to heavy salt concentrations), and antifreeze are all extremely toxic to your pets.

Other things to remember:

Avoid feeding your pet onions, garlic, grapes, dates, raisins, and macadamia nuts. Pets cannot metabolize certain foods in the same manner as humans, possibly causing severe damage to kidney and liver function. Also avoid feeding your pet raw meat. Possible salmonella contamination can be shared through the pet’s shedding hair to their human companions.

If your pet ingests any foreign object, potentially caustic or toxic substance, or sugar free chewing gum, contact our office immediately!! (most sugar free chewing gum sold contains a sugar replacement called xylitol, which if ingested by an animal can cause kidney and liver failure).

Menu