Hospital Prescription Policy
Prescription Medication Requests
To better expedite your prescription medication refill requests, please follow these simple steps:
- 1.) Medication therapies require Doctor supervision. Current examinations and/or diagnostic testing may be required prior to authorizing a refill request. Please contact the hospital well in advance to ensure your pet receives the most efficient care.
- 2.) If your pet has completed all necessary examinations and/or diagnostics, please provide 24 hour advance notification for medication refills. This allows the attending veterinarian to review your pet’s medical record, consult with you regarding the patient’s current status and to authorize and dispense the necessary medications.
- 3.) Please provide the receptionist or technician with a status update regarding your pet’s condition. Is the medication having the desired effect? Have there been any concerns since beginning the therapy, such as change in appetite, eliminations, or behavioral changes?
- 4.) Please provide the most current contact information to the receptionist or technician in case the attending veterinarian has questions regarding your pet’s condition prior to refilling the prescription. Our technicians need your contact information as well so that we may notify you when your prescription will be ready.
- 5.) Calling in your prescription refill request in the morning will greatly expedite your request. In most cases, the prescription can be ready by that afternoon.
- Refill requests are handled in the order that they are received.
- Refill requests can only be authorized and dispensed at the discretion of the attending veterinarian.
- Calling in to refill your pet’s medication AFTER running out or right before you run out of the medication is not recommended. If your pet’s medication is on back order, or the med is recently out of stock, it may take up to 2-3 days to receive a new shipment due to our remote locale.
- For special orders/compounded medications, please allow at least 5-7 business days.